All applications need to be submitted through the Virginia Tech Graduate School. Please see below for detailed instructions to direct your application to the MCB program committee. Information on fee waivers is available from the Graduate School website. The MCB program occasionally provides fee waivers to students with strong credentials who would otherwise not be able to apply. To be considered, please enter your information here by November 15th. Decisions will be made right after the deadline.
Interested students are encouraged to contact faculty members, who they have an interest in working with, before submitting a formal application. This is not a pre-requisite for applying, though.
Priority deadline: December 1st Screening of applications will start immediately after the priority deadline. Applications received by the priority deadline will receive priority review for admission, and accepted students may be eligible to apply for internal, competitive fellowships. We strongly encourage you to apply by this first deadline. Please make sure we also have received your reference letters by that deadline.
Final deadline: February 1st Applications received between priority and final deadline will only be reviewed if the program has additional space available.
Submitting your application
- Create an application account online
- Once your account is created, log in with this account.
- Click on the year for which you want to be admitted “Application for Graduate Admission”. Select “Degree Seeking” and the appropriate year. Click “Open Application”.
- Under “Program of Study” select “Molecular and Cellular Biology”, Degree Type “PHD”. Campus “Blacksburg”.
- GRE Test Scores are not required. Applicants from abroad may need TOEFL or IELTS.
- You can upload your diversity statement under “MCB Supplemental”.
- Once all sections are complete, click the “Review” button and submit.